Monday 14 January 2013

Goodbye Meditation; Hello Spontaneity


.
I have had quite a revelation.

Those of you who, like me, have tried to introduce some spiritual discipline into their lives, such as meditation, prayer, contemplation of spiritual matters, and ‘right action’ will probably know that there is a lot of confusion around the whole concept of meditation. Far from there just being the main two types of meditation, ‘concentrative’ and‘mindful’, such as the likes of Wikipedia maintain, there are all sorts of other practices going under the broad heading of meditation.

For example, there are ‘guided meditations’ which use visualisation, (this is used a lot in Kabbalah and also in transpersonal psychotherapies.) I have also seen ‘kenosis’ – self-forgetting – referred to as meditation, which always struck me as being the opposite, at least in day to day practice, of ‘mindfulness’, though it does sometimes involve intense concentration.

As you might know, I set up a daily routine of prayer,meditation etc. when I left work last July, - I outlined it in my blog post ‘Daily Practice’. I used an online tool for meditation which made it about as easy as it could be. This is not the first time I have tried to meditate regularly and even before Christmas I was finding myself dreading this daily 20 minute meditation (again), and finding all sorts of reasons for not doing it (again).

The problem has been that, even when I have managed to meditate regularly, for over a year, I have never found the process beneficial, either in the doing, or the outcomes. I had been trying to resign myself to the fact that, tedious as meditation was, it was just something that had to be done.

 At the same time I was discovering that singing in a choir, which I started to do in November, was resulting in a ‘kenosis’ that was immediately giving me all the benefits that meditation is supposed to;- nourishment of the soul, positive emotions, and physical relaxation which I hadn’t experienced since an hour’s silversmithing as a teenager.

When I mentioned to one of my Kabbalah teachers that I intensely disliked meditation he said “So do something else” but that was just before term ended, and hasn’t resumed yet, and I haven’t had a chance to ask him if self-forgetting would be a good ‘something else’.

So today I put the question out on the London Integral Circle’s list and got the following enlightening and uplifting reply from HelenTitchen-Beeth, to whom I am profoundly grateful. I reproduce it here, and hope that others find it as liberating:

“Sufi teacher Llewelyn Vaughn-Lee distinguishes between masculine and feminine spiritual practices, and classifies meditation among the masculine, ascending approaches. He suggests that the masculine needs disciplining, whereas the feminine needs to be allowed to love what it loves and go with her appetites and inclinations of the moment. This could be one reason why meditation doesn't work for you and immersion in embodied practices - like silversmithing or singing - does.
I must admit that I have moved away from any specific spiritual paths, and towards the practice of direct, unintermediated immersion in the kosmos - which is tantamount to saying that I do what I feel like, when I feel like doing it, and I no longer bother to 'should' on myself about things - either spiritual or mundane. Whatever relieves your anxiety and brings you joy brings you closer to your natural state of being - as you were born to be in order to fill your unique function in creation. It also increases the likelihood of your inspiring joy and elation in others. And what else is spiritual practice for, ultimately, if not for our individual and collective flourishing?”

Many thanks to Helen Titchen-Beeth for this insight.

I would be interested in the views of others on this topic.

5 comments:

  1. Many thanks to Roger Huot who has given me permission to copy a comment he made on this blog via another forum:

    "I relate very much with your meditation equivalent.Though I do not have good enough a voice to sing, I am an avid listener of sacred choral music( mostly sacred but some operatic chorus will fit in) and I attend many concerts devoted to that kind of music. The likes of Handel's Messiah, Mozart's Requiem, Monteverdi's Vesper and so many others, not specially for their specific religious wording but for a more general spirituality emanating from them, performed by some 50 or more enthousiast instrumentists and chorists themselves living their inner trip, takes me to another very special level of reality and a state of well being ,where no classic meditation practice has ever taken me.

    And listening to such music on my I-Pod while exercicing is nourishment both for the body and the soul ,those two activities intermingling their own particular benefits( some kind of holistic experience would I dare to say).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,
    First time commenting or you page so feel free to edit or remove as you see fit.
    Some years ago I attended Bikram Yoga which was hugely beneficial physically but always ended with a frustrating ten minutes of "breathing & meditation" so I took a similar approach to your Kabbalah teacher and found something else to do. By comparison, mildly challenging tasks (decorating, house work, cycling) can lead to a state of mind Daniel Pink (Drive) described as "flow"; a rewarding position of contentment and achievement. Is the conventional understanding of meditation too restrictive for a mind content when active?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marti,

    Many thanks for your comment.

    I think you're probably right - the conventional understanding of meditation is far too restrictive, especially as regards the physical, emotional and mental benefits. I've always worried though that being in a state of flow, or 'in the zone' as I've also seen it described, is not enough in itself for 'spiritual advancement' i.e. making one's way back up the kabbalistic tree, but comments that others have made, including your own, are tending to confirm that for years I've interpreted spiritual work as something other than what it actually is. I think this misunderstanding may have come about after Ken Wilber said that he didn't think he would have survived an illness he had suffered if he hadn't developed spiritual strength through hours and hours of vispassna meditation, the mere thought of which makes me want to run screaming from the room...! By the way, I really like Daniel Pink's book, and how it overturns some traditional economists' beliefs about human motivation. I used to show the RSA video summarising the book, available on YouTube, to my HR students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks to Byungwook Bob Yu for giving me permission to reproduce here an email he sent me commenting on the post above:

    "Helen,

    Mindfulness practice can be interpreted as in making the mind more full. Not with more experience or by paying excessive attention to an object, but to notice the mind directly. Mind paying attention to mind. This leads to mindfulness, which displaces or deconstructs objects, and the primary object or self is forgotten. Kenosis or self-forgetting is the fruit of mindfulness.

    Self-forgetting leads to world-forgetting, which leads to Reality revealed. When Reality is seen, boundlessness and inseparatibility are both seen. Thus finite construction of the world is understood to be maya or play of construction. Human beings, endowed with creativity, can construct a new world of their own making, which leads to new ideas and new inventions.

    Meditation is the fundamental activity of Being, which is non-activity. Passiveness and activeness merge into a state of being which is also the state of overflowing.

    Meditation, never forgotten, yet must be recollected consciously, is the heart of Being, which beholds the Mystery and discloses secrets untold.

    Meditative context upholds and reveals the purpose of one's life. It is revealed through a tugging on the heart or a question in the mind. Hence articulating exactly why one is meditating discloses that which meditates.

    Why meditate? The question and answer are revealed in silence to silence.

    Warm regards,

    Bob"

    ReplyDelete